Indian River Biathlon is a kayak/bike biathlon that falls on the third Sunday of July each year. In 2022, the event celebrated its 15th anniversary. The race is held in conjunction with other events in Indian River.
Proceeds from the event support trail projects in the area. Past funds have supported construction of the Burt Lake Trail and cross-country ski grooming at the Wildwood Hills Pathway.
The course includes 2.24 miles of kayaking on the scenic Inland Waterway and 11.68 miles of bicycling on the North Central State Trail (crushed limestone).
Registration for the 2024 event is coming soon.
Event Details and Logistics:
- The event is limited to the first 100 registered participants.
- Participants can enter for fun, fitness, and/or competition.
- The course begins with 2.24 miles of kayaking on the beautiful and historic Inland Waterway (Burt Lake and the Indian River). The course ends with 11.68 miles of bicycling on the scenic North Central State Trail, which is crushed limestone (not recommended for extremely narrow tires).
- The start is at DeVoe Beach at 9 a.m. The transition from kayaking to biking is also at DeVoe Beach. The finish line is near the Chamber of Commerce Building. Refreshments, awards, and prizes are back at DeVoe Beach. The award ceremony begins at 11 a.m.
- Check-in begins at 8 a.m. at DeVoe Beach in Indian River.
- Registration includes free refreshments, free T-shirt and entry into drawings for great prizes.
- Beautiful wood plaques will be awarded to the top finishers in each age/gender category.
- All proceeds will go to support our beautiful trails in Northern Michigan.
- Participants must provide their own bicycle and proper helmet, and kayak with paddle, and Coast Guard approved life-jacket.
- For more information or to volunteer for this event contact Top of Michigan Trails Council 231-348-8280, or email email@example.com
- This event is a fundraiser. One hundred percent of the proceeds are donated to maintain quality trails in our local area. Registration cost is $60 until May 31; $70 until June 30; $80 until July 22; and $90 on site (space permitting).